Business Listing Category: Commercial Chemicals
Harcros Chemicals Inc. is a major distributor and manufacturer of industrial and specialty chemicals. Privately held since 2001, the company has a long-standing history in the chemical industry. Harcros began business in 1917 as Thompson, Munro and Robins, and changed its name to Thompson-Hayward Chemical Company (THCC) in 1923. North American Philips acquired THCC in 1961 and in 1981; the company again changed hands when Harrisons and Crosfield plc purchased the bulk of the business from North American Philips. The company name was changed to Harcros Chemicals, Inc. in 1988. In 2001 a management buyout resulted in the privatization of Harcros. It remains a privately held corporation today and is employee-owned effective January 2014 through the creation of an ESOP.
1917 – Harcros Formed as Thompson, Munro, Robins Chemical Co.
1923 – Company named changed to Thompson-Hayward Chemical Company (THCC)
1961 – THCC Acquired by Philips Electronics (now N. American Phillips)
1981 – Harrisons & Crossfield plc (H&C) purchased THCC and incorporates in Delaware
1988 – Harcros Chemicals Inc. emerges. All former Harrisons & Crossfield distribution companies are merged under the Harcros name.
2001 – Harcros Chemicals Inc. becomes privately held when purchased by senior management
2013 – Harcros Chemicals Inc. transitioned from a privately held company to being employee owned (ESOP).
2016 – Harcros (India) Pvt. Ltd. Acquires majority share of the Venus Group in India
Harcros operates twenty-nine distribution locations in nineteen states and provides excellent geographic coverage throughout much of the United States. The Harcros Manufacturing Division headquartered in Kansas City, Kansas, with a second facility in Dalton, Georgia, is a niche producer of surfactants, emulsifiers, defoamers, and a myriad of specialty products, custom blends, and reaction chemistries.